Hi and thanks for listening to episode 18 of the Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast. For this weeks episode we wanted to talk about the importance of tolerances. Just because you can lay a nice bead doesn't mean the part is good if you can't hold dimensions. Hope you can pick up a few tips from this talk to help up your game or just realize the importance of paying attention to dimensional details. So download, pop in those earbuds, hit play, drop your hood, and enjoy!
Like what you hear? Would you like to help support the Welding Tips & Tricks Podcast? We now have a page over on Patreon. You can be Patron of our podcast at many levels and rewards for those levels. The three of us love helping the welding community but there are costs involved in producing it. Go over to www.patreon.com/weldingtipsandtrickspodcast and become one of our Patrons. Every dollar helps and we sincerely appreciate it.
Jonathan, Roy and Jody
Show Times and Notes
- 0:00-1:30 Introduction
- 1:30-2:44 Welding sequence
- 2:44-4:46 Go to the Max
- 4:46-6:41 It shrinks
- 6:41-8:41 Welding Distortion Fundamentals
- 8:41-9:33 Better to be a little over to start
- 9:33-10:08 Mr. Shrink
- 10:08-10:57 What works for you
- 10:57-12:34 Magic hammer
- 12:34-16:00 Has to go back together right
- 16:00-20:52 Jonathan's tolerances
- 20:52-21:56 Know the parts you're on
- 21:56-27:45 Stacking Tolerances
- 27:45-29:28 One tape pull
- 29:28-44:08 Fixtures
- 44:08-46:02 Tolerances on prints
- 46:02-48:58 Machinist tolerances
- 48:58-53:13 Tolerances change the price
- 53:13-54:56 Just make it thicker
- 54:56-57:02 Writing on a controlled document
- 57:02-58:35 Reference Only
- 58:35-1:00:21 Tape differences
- 1:00:21-1:02:00 Calibrated tools
- 1:02:00-1:06:48 Check your squares
- 1:06:48-1:07:26 Calibrating a tape
- 1:07:26-1:08:48 Look at the finale product
- 1:08:48-1:13:39 Simple tools
- 1:13:39-1:15:55 Go/No Go gauges
- 1:15:55-1:18:35 Metrology/GD&T/Six Sigma
- 1:18:35-1:20:26 Measure twice cut once
- 1:20:26-1:21:31 Step back and look
- 1:21:31-1:24:35 First Article Inspections
- 1:24:35-1:26:26 Drives the pay up
- 1:26:26-1:28:17 Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
- 1:28:17-1:30:02 Wrapping it up
- 1:30:02-1:30:48 Sponsor Large Time Fab's Welder's Coffee
- 1:30:48-1:31:57 Closing
Thank you to our Sponsor!
Thank you Welder's Coffee for sponsoring this episode. If you have not tried Large Time Fab's Welder's Coffee you need to give it a go. Every order is roasted after it has been ordered for peak freshness and flavors. So head over to to largetimefab.bigcartel.com and order a pound or two! You wont regret it! YOu can find him on Instagram at @largetimefab Be sure to tell him Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast sent you.
Where can you find Us?
You can email Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast directly at WeldingTipsandTricksPodcast@gmail.com.
Podcast music can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3UyYZ85Tiw Doctor Vox -Endgames Royalty Free
We would really like to hear your thoughts about this podcast and what would make it better for you, the listener. Please leave us any questions that you would like to hear about welding, or questions you'd like to know about ourselves and future guests.
Give us a Call
You can also now call and leave us a voicemail!
How to reach us individually
Welding Tips and Tricks on Youtube
@Weldmonger on Instagram
@Superiorwelding on Instagram
Superiorwelding on Youtube
@CrummyWelding on Instagram
Where can you find a Tig Finger?
You can find Tig fingers and other great welding supplies, like stubby gas lens kits, here at this link http://weldmongerstore.com/. All of which are great tools to have in your job toolbox and also your home shop box.
This Podcast has been brought to you by Weldors for Weldors so that you can listen to Weldors talk about Welding while you're Welding!