Hi and Thanks for listening to Episode 28 of the Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast. Every weldor has always wondered what it would be like to be an Underwater Weldor, so we thought this would be a great topic. Only problem is none of us here on the podcast has any experence with anything to do with even diving so we brought in an expert, Nate Martin. This is an awesome episode with a ton of information! We talked about what it's really like to be a diver in today's day and age. So download, pop those earbuds in, hit play, drop your hood, and enjoy!
Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast Patreon Page
We also would like to take a moment and thank those who support the show on Patreon. Each Patron helps keep the show going and allows us to publish each and every week. If you would like to support the show, in any dollar amount, head over to www.patreon.com/weldingtipsandtrickspodcast. Everyone there is greatly appreciated. This months top supporters of the show are Philip Kaminski, Scott Silva, and .
Show Notes and Times
- 0:00-1:26 Introduction
- 1:27-5:11 Nate's beginnings
- 5:12-10:47 Dry and wet welding
- 10:48-13:12 Rigging skills
- 13:13-16:16 Setting the chamber
- 16:17-17:35 How deep do you weld?
- 17:26-18:43 Material welded
- 18:44-19:51 Getting in the chamber
- 19:52-21:35 Misconceptions of underwater welders
- 21:36-24:35 Commercial diver jobs
- 24:36-27:32 Turning a good welder into a diver
- 27:33-28:57 Turnover rate
- 28:58-31:34 Average time away
- 31:35-34:32 Topside verses wet welding
- 34:33-41:37 Weld testing
- 41:38-47:15 Testing before each job
- 47:16-49:08 Welding machines used
- 49:09-50:11 Template the habitat
- 50:12-52:59 TIG welding underwater
- 53:00-53:54 MIG welding underwater
- 53:55-56:56 How much money can be made?
- 56:57-59:30 Lifespan of underwater welder
- 59:31-1:05:54 Compressing/decompressing
- 1:05:55-1:07:40 Depth pay
- 1:07:41-1:14:39 Mixed gas dive
- 1:14:40-1:16:33 Compressed air dive
- 1:16:34-1:18:07 5 years underwater
- 1:18:08-1:20:23 Diver first, welder second
- 1:20:24-1:24:23 Dangers in commercial diving
- 1:24:24-1:26:55 Safety improvements today
- 1:26:56-1:29:23 How to get into Commercial Diving
- 1:29:24-1:31:34 Become a better Tender
- 1:31:35-1:35:42 Certified Underwater welder?
- 1:35:43-1:37:02 Not always a rock star
- 1:37:03-1:39:52 Buy your own Domino's
- 1:39:53-1:43:00 Wrapping up
- 1:43:01-1:46:18 Closing
Where to get a hold of Nate?
Where can you find Us?
You can email Welding Tips and Tricks Podcast directly at WeldingTipsandTricksPodcast@gmail.com.
We would really like to hear your thoughts about this podcast and what would make it better for you, the listener. Please leave us any questions that you would like to hear about welding, or questions you'd like to know about ourselves and future guests.
Give us a Call
You can also now call and leave us a voicemail!
How to reach us individually
Welding Tips and Tricks on Youtube
@Weldmonger on Instagram
@Superiorwelding on Instagram
Superiorwelding on Youtube
@CrummyWelding on Instagram
Interested in weld purging equipment as discussed in this show? Head over to superiorweldandfabsupply.com to check out our complete selection of weld purging tools to help you make those perfect welds.
Where can you find a Tig Finger?
You can find Tig fingers and other great welding supplies, like stubby gas lens kits, here at this link http://weldmongerstore.com/. All of which are great tools to have in your job toolbox and also your home shop box.
This Podcast has been brought to you by Weldors for Weldors so that you can listen to Weldors talk about Welding while you're Welding!
New music brought to you by Jody's son Jake!